BUCHAREST – During the 9th edition of Lawyers’ Gala organised by Ziarul Financiar, RTPR Allen & Overy won three awards for the largest transactions in 2017 and the first half of this year. Each year during the Lawyers’ Gala, an event dedicated to the most important M&A transactions in Romania, Ziarul Financiar grants awards to law firms that assisted buyers and sellers in the 10 largest deals in various industry sectors.
RTPR Allen & Overy was awarded for three out of the 10 deals, namely:
- largest deal in the industry – granted for DS Smith’s acquisition of EcoPack and EcoPpaer from Vladimir Cohn; in this transaction RTPR Allen & Overy assisted the buyer. Richard Browne (Partner, Global Co-Head of Corporate) and Alex Tilley (Senior Associate) led the Allen & Overy team in London and Costin Tărăcilă (Managing Partner) and Roxana Ionescu (Counsel) coordinated the Bucharest team, which further included Associates Vlad Stamatescu, Evelin Grigore, Petru Ursache and Andrei Lupu on the due diligence aspects, and Partner Alexandru Retevoescu together with Managing Associate Bianca Eremia on real estate and other connected aspects of the transaction.
- largest deal in the construction materials sector – granted for the acquisition of Macon Deva by Xella from Enterprise Investors; in this transaction RTPR Allen & Overy assisted the seller. The team involved in this project was coordinated by Costin Tărăcilă (Managing Partner) with significant support from Andrei Mihul (Managing Associate) and further included lawyers from the Bucharest and London offices.
- largest deal in the medical services/pharma industry – granted for the acquisition of A&D Pharma by Penta Investment; in this transaction RTPR Allen & Overy assisted the seller. The team involved in this project included Costin Tărăcilă (Managing Partner), Alina Stăvaru (Counsel), Roxana Ionescu (Counsel), Andreea Burtoiu (Counsel), Andrei Mihul (Managing Associate), Andreea Chiriac (Associate) and Lia Ilie (Junior Associate), as well as teams from Allen & Overy’s Amsterdam, Prague and Milan offices.
“As every year, ZF Lawyers’ Gala is a moment of celebration for Romanian lawyers’ elite. These awards mark a few of our M&A team’s successes, which each and every year is proud to be involved in landmark transactions in the various industries. I am proud of our whole team which through hard work, with dedication and passion, contributed to winning these prizes. I also take this opportunity to thank our clients for entrusting us with the most interesting mandates.”, Costin Taracila, Managing Partner of RTPR Allen & Overy declared.
Apart from the three awards, RTPR Allen & Overy was nominated for another three deals in the following categories:
- largest transaction in the energy sector: nomination for the deal in which Electrica bought from Fondul Proprietatea stakes in Electrica’s subsidiaries. RTPR Allen & Overy assisted the buyer.
- largest transaction in the FMCG sector: nomination for the listing of Purcari on the Bucharest Stock Exchange. RTPR Allen & Overy assisted the issuer.
- largest transaction in the retail sector: nomination for the deal in which Rohatyn group buys Animax. RTPR Allen & Overy assisted the buyer, Cristian Pop, the shareholder of Pet Product.
RTPR Allen & Overy’s corporate/M&A practice is ranked in the first tier by all important international legal directories, such as Legal 500, Chambers and IFLR1000, and the firm’s lawyers are valued among the best in the country in the field. Recently, one of the deals awarded by Ziarul Financiar, the sale of A&D Pharma, won “2017 Deal of the Year Award for Romania” at the CEE Legal Matters Awards Banquet.
RTPR Allen & Overy’s main areas of activity are: financing, mergers and acquisitions, capital markets, insolvency and restructuring, competition, labour law, intellectual property law, litigation and arbitration, and providing advice across a range of business sectors including energy, telecommunications, finance, real estate and the pharmaceutical industry.
*As of 2 March 2020 RTPR Allen & Overy will refer to itself as RTPR.