BUCHAREST – RTPR Allen & Overy wins 2017 Deal of the Year Award for Romania at the CEE Legal Matters Awards Banquet.
RTPR Allen & Overy has won the first ever CEE Legal Matters CEE Deal of the Year Award for Romania at the Deal of the Year Awards Banquet in Prague for advising the shareholders of A&D Pharma, the largest pharma group in Romania, operating wholesale, retail and marketing & sales business and with operations in CEE as well, on the sale of the entire group to Dr Max, the Czech pharmacy chain owned by Penta Investments.
Finalists were selected by a first panel of highly-regarded private practitioners in each market, and the ultimate winners were the determined by a second group of prominent legal experts from across Central and Eastern Europe, evaluating deals based on deal complexity, market (and regional) significance, and innovation. The awards were announced at the CEE Legal Matters Annual Banquet held in Prague on June 7.
“We are honoured to receive this award, recognition of a landmark transaction and of the strength of an experienced and dedicated team of lawyers. This award is testimony for an outstanding year for our M&A practice when we assisted clients in many important deals”, declared Costin Taracila, Managing Partner of RTPR Allen & Overy.
“To a real extent, the ability to make these important deals happen demands a unique combination of skill, passion, training, and commitment that the best lawyers in the region bring to their work every day”, said David Stuckey, CEE Legal Matters Executive Editor.
The RTPR Allen & Overy team that advised A&D Pharma on this project included Costin Tărăcilă (Managing Partner), Alina Stăvaru (Counsel), Roxana Ionescu (Counsel), Andreea Burtoiu (Counsel), Andrei Mihul (Managing Associate), Andreea Chiriac (Associate) and Lia Ilie (Junior Associate), as well as teams from Allen & Overy’s Amsterdam, Prague and Milan offices.
RTPR Allen &Overy has one of the best Corporate/M&A teams in Romania which was constantly involved in the most interesting transactions on the market over the years. The most prestigious international legal directories, Legal 500, Chambers and IFLR1000 rank our mergers and acquisitions practice on the top tier, recognising the value of our lawyers who are appreciated by clients and peers as well and are considered market leaders in the field.
Selected M&A transactions in which RTPR Allen & Overy have been recently involved are set out below:
- Autonom Services on the acquisition of BT Operational Leasing, the operational leasing company currently owned by Banca Transilvania group
- Enterprise Investors on the sale of Macon group to Xella Group
- Societatea Energetică Electrica S.A. on the acquisition of the minority stakes held by Fondul Proprietatea in the company’s energy distribution and supply subsidiaries
- ADM Capital on the sale of Brikston Construction Solutions S.A., one of the major players on the masonry and finishing materials market in Romania, to the Austrian group Wienerberger
- DS Smith Plc group in relation to the acquisition of EcoPack and EcoPaper, two major producers of packaging and paper products on the Romanian market
- Enterprise Investors in relation to the sale of Profi supermarket chain to Mid Europa Partners, in the largest deal ever completed by a private equity fund in Romania and the largest deal in the retail sector in the country’s history
- Asahi Group Holdings, Ltd. on the acquisition of Ursus Brewery, one of the largest beer producers in Romania, in a huge deal in which Asahi group purchased the SAB Miller businesses in the region from Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV
- Allianz Capital Partners on the acquisition of a 30% stake in E.ON Distributie Romania, the largest electricity and gas distribution network operator in the northern part of Romania. This is the largest transaction in Romania in the energy sector in the last years.
- South Eastern European Fund on the sale of Total Soft SA, the most important ERP producer in Central Europe
- Enterprise Investors in relation to the acquisition of “Noriel” group, the largest toys and games retailer in Romania
- Regina Maria, the healthcare services provider and Mid Europa Partners on the acquisition of Ponderas Hospital
*As of 2 March 2020 RTPR Allen & Overy will refer to itself as RTPR.